We are not sure how we have been posting on This is Antalya for three years and have overlooked one of the most popular tourist spots in the city: Lower Düden Falls. It is completely an oversight, because we actually take almost all of our visitors to view this iconic Antalya landmark. Read on to discover why.
What will you see there?
The lower falls that plunge into the Mediterranean Sea along the Lara cliffside provide a stark contrast to the natural park ambiance of Upper Düden Falls. For safety reasons, you cannot get very close to the falls. What you will see from the side is a (sometimes) swiftly flowing river majestically cascading into the sea. There is a bridge that crosses over the river well before it dives over the rocky cliff. But you can walk around to the west side of the falls to take beautiful pictures with the water splashing behind you. At the right time of year and day, the photos will be magical.
There is a children’s play area adjacent to the west side of the river, as well as a cafe where you can drink tea and purchase snacks on the east side. Another cafe can be found on the west side a little further past the falls.
Thrill-seekers can zipline down and over the river toward the falls. (Don’t worry, you stop well before the deep plunge.) Just walk to the east side of the bridge and turn north. You will find the place to purchase tickets there.
Grassy picnic areas can be found around the falls, but most of the space is not tree-covered, and it isn’t always maintained.
- The best time to view Lower Düden Falls is when it is not hot. We realize this rules out a huge portion of Antalya’s visitors, but without much tree coverage it can be kind of miserable there. Also, since it rarely rains in the summer in Antalya, the water flow isn’t as spectacular.
- In the summer months, we don’t typically spend more than 10-15 minutes visiting during the day. If the weather is nice, it is much more pleasant to walk around and enjoy the view. But we still wouldn’t plan for more than 30-45 minutes for a visit, even if you plan on doing the zipline. It is a quick trip.
- If you come in the summer, we recommend evenings close to sunset. It is a glorious spot to watch the sunset, regardless of the time of year. But plan on bigger crowds.
- As far as water flow goes, the best time to visit is in the Spring when the snow is melting in the mountains.
- Avoid the guy with the parrot who wants to take your picture unless you have always dreamed of having your photo taken with a parrot in front of a waterfall. It is a tourist trap and the “special price” he offers is not a good one.
- Do not pay a lot of money to park in the parking lot. You can easily find a parking spot along the street most times of the year.
- If the weather is nice, plan on grabbing a tea or coffee in one of the cafes, or let your kids play in the large playground area.
- On hot summer days when you are looking for indoor things to do in Lara, check out For Fun Antalya.
- If you want to get closer to the falls down below, you can go on a boat tour from the Kaleiçi harbor.
How to Get There
Located on the Lara side of the city, Lower Düden Falls is found in Düden Park. About 25 minutes drive from the middle of town, the lower falls is easily accessible by car, taxi and multiple public buses. You can navigate your way there easily either by using Google Maps or the AntalyaKart app.
You can also reach Lower Düden Falls easily by foot from either the Lara Beach or if you are walking along Falez Park off Lara Road.
Address: Çağlayan, Lara Cd. No:457, 07230 Muratpaşa/Antalya
Hours: Open 24 hours
Entrance Fee: Free